North Rim to transition to day use operations
GRAND CANYON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) – The North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park will switch to day-use operations on October 16, which means the Grand Canyon Lodge will close and limited visitor services will be available.
Visitors to the North Rim from October 16 should plan to be self-sufficient and bring enough food and water for the day.
North Rim Campground will close for the season on November 1st. Reservations will be accepted until October 31. Visitors wishing to reserve campsites for next year can access reservations on November 15 at 8:00 am MST for May 2022. Campsite reservations can be made 6 months in advance, on an ongoing basis.
The entrance gate to State Route 67, which allows vehicle access to the North Rim, will be closed on November 30 at 5 p.m., or after the first major snowstorm if it is earlier than that date.
Visitors should anticipate the following changes:
- The North Rim Visitor Center will close on October 15 at 6 p.m. and the Roaring Springs Overlook booth will close on October 17 at 3 p.m.
- The RV / General Store will offer limited groceries and retail items while supplies last. Hours of operation will be Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., until November 30 or the closure of State Route 67, whichever occurs first.
- The self-service station, including diesel, will be available as long as SR 67 is open. It will only accept credit and debit cards.
- After October 31st, water will only be available at the North Rim Backcountry Information Center at the North Rim Administration Building.
- The North Rim Backcountry Information Center will close for the season on November 1st.
All visitors to the North Rim should be prepared for winter driving conditions on SR 67 and throughout the park. Snow, ice and rain are common during this time of year. Please call Arizona Highway Information to check driving conditions: 1-888-411-ROAD (7623).
Nearby, year-round accommodation, food services and fuel are located 45 miles north of the North Shore at Jacob Lake. Additional accommodation and guest services are available in Fredonia, Arizona, and Kanab, Utah.
Please visit the park’s website at: https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/north-rim.htm for more information on planning trips to the North Rim.
Copyright 2021 KOLD News 13. All rights reserved.